Tuesday 11 October 2011

Elevators, Community, and Roots

I'm back after a refreshing long weekend filled with food, friends, family, and good times. My family had the unique opportunity to share our rural way of life with a friend who is originally from the greater Toronto area. Nothing helps you see your world with opened eyes more than having the chance to share it with someone who is seeing it all for the first time. Over the course of the weekend, Lauren had her first ride in a pickup truck, climbed her first straw bale, and got to see cows up close for the first time. She lit up with each new experience. It was great to see her get excited about all these simple things that my family and I just take for granted. I am thankful I was reminded that even something as basic as a clear night's sky can bring joy to our lives. 

And with that, I am pleased to present the #ReasonsRuralRocks honourable mentions for the week of Oct. 2-8:

  • I <3 rural poster on my wall in my new home in Montreal. You can take the girl out of the country, but those roots run deep. @onepercentyello
  • The entire community attends sporting events. Parents don’t just drop off their kids! @JenaeHansen 
  • Rural communities supporting locally owned businesses and sharing in the profits. @wrcoop
  • Grain elevators and UFA logoed hats. @jbatiuk
  • A gorgeous autumn day 2day. Warm sun, a light breeze and a prairiescape of vibrant and earth tone hues. @clht1
  • Your local elevator will give you and your non-rural friend a tour and you will see forever. @KSherbi  
 This week please take some time to think about why you are thankful for rural. As always, I ask that you share your #ReasonsRuralRocks here on the blog or on Twitter (with me @sherbani). 

No comments:

Post a Comment