Thursday 22 September 2011

#ReasonsRuralRocks the A-Z List

Back in the early stages of the #ReasonsRuralRocks trend, I challenged myself to think of a different reason for each letter of the alphabet. Not only did this ensure that I would not end up repeating myself, it encouraged me to think creatively (and critically) about what it is that has made my experience of rural so wonderful. I came up with "A" back on July 27 and, with some assistance from a loyal #ReasonsRuralRocks follower, "Z" came about on Sept. 8.


Now it is my great pleasure to share the #ReasonsRuralRocks A-Z List:



A.  Apple pie made with fruit from your Baba's back yard. YUMMY! 
B.  "Running away from home" age 5, the whole neighbourhood looking for me until I was       found (asleep under my bed)
C.  My co-worker just shared fresh peas from her garden for lunch
D.  Riding in the combine with Dad and family suppers in the field at harvest time
E.  Every one who has grown up rural inherently knows many #ReasonsRuralRocks, sometimes they're hard to express in words 
F.  Freedom. Whether it's the freedom to let your kids explore without worry or to eat food right out of the soil. Freedom.
G.  Grasshoppers, frogs, birds- the sounds of summer
H.  Having a sense of connectedness to people and place
I.   Independence; you don't have to adhere to the condo board's regulations. If you want a holstein style fence, go for it!
J.  Just being; appreciating exactly where you are and living in the moment.
K.  Kingman, Alberta- Lutefisk capital of the province, alive and well at 102
L.  Llamas, alpacas, and huarizos- oh my! #ReasonsRuralRocks and a shout out to new   friends @Alpacamundo and @CircleBalpacas
M.  My family, proudly farming in Alberta since 1901.
N.  Noise, light, and air pollution are basically nonexistent
O.  Owning land and having the responsibility to ensure its sustainability
P.   PRAIRIES!
Q.  Quiet reflection under a sky that doesn't end
R.  Round Hill, Ab (my home town) pop. 100, ability to raise tens of thousands of dollars for community members in need
S.   Sunshine all week- summer's not over yet!
T.   Thinking about time out in the field when you're stuck in the office
U.   Up early, to bed late- worth every minute
V.   Vacations consisting of camping in the "back 40"
W.  You can drink the water right out of the tap. 
X.    Sharing at the town meeting that you learnt to play the xylophone
Y.    Young people who know know where they've come from and are proud of it
Z.    You save the trip to the Zoo, there's enough wildlife to meet on a stroll through 'town'


*X and Z are the brainchild of @DDD222111





Note that all of these (excluding the ones from @DDD222111) have been posted by me between the dates of July 27 and September 8, 2011. So there is nothing here that you probably haven't already seen. However, in case you missed any of them, or if you are new to the #ReasonsRuralRocks conversation, this list should get you all caught up. My challenge to you is to come up with your own creative #ReasonsRuralRocks list, much like "My 5+ Reasons Rural Rocks" by @GardenVariety or "3 Reasons Rural Rocks" by @Michael_Knutson. 


Let me know which are your favourite reasons on the A-Z List! 

No comments:

Post a Comment